Re: [squid-users] Squid high CPU usage issue

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:39:44 +0800

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007, Chris Rosset wrote:

> * So looks like 2.84 requests per second.

That isn't a high load at all. There's going to be some other issue then.
Are you graphing the request rate and traffic through the server? What about
graphing stuff like server CPU/memory usage, disk IO, swapping/paging, etc?

> * Ok, but that would require us to create a new AUFS filesystem no?
> I read diskd is almost as good and you can still use it on a UFS filesystem.
> At least if you compile it into squid. Your thoughts?

No, you just need to recompile Squid. AUFS, UFS and DISKD all use the same
on-disk format.

> * yeah it's mostly spam sites we got the list from somewhere.
> Someone reccomended squidgard maybe ill try that.

It'd be nice if someone sat down and tried to figure out why our CPU use
is so high with large ACLs.

> * Well i could probably try it on our dev box, I am not positive we can upgrade to 2.6 though
> One of our Admins told me he found some issues with it and preffered to stay on 2.5 for now.

Issues like what? We can't fix things if noone tells us what issues
they're having with Squid-2.6. Squid-2.6 has so many fixes in it
compared to Squid-2.5 people should've moved to it in droves and
told us what broke so some fixes could've been posted! :)

Migrating to Squid-2.6 now is a good idea - there's work in the pipeline which
might eventuate into another -2 release with some pretty major improvements
and the jump from 2.5 will be quite big. I'd rather be told what stuff is
broken in 2.6 so it can be fixed and included in the next release than to wait
for the next release and find stuff is still broken (and people not telling
us what it is..)

Adrian