[squid-users] Mixed Auth and No-Auth?

From: mdnorth32 <mdnorth32@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:13:21 -0800 (PST)

I have toyed around with the config and read over the
doc on authentication and authorization. Sorry if I
have missed the obvious...

I already have squid and shorewall working together to
make a transparent proxy. Is it possible to require
authentication only for certain domains (for this
example we will call them marginaldomains {flickr,
myspace, google video} )?

Wait! Before you scream. I know you can't
authenticate transparently. But if one wanted to
visit a marginaldomain he could configure his browser
for the proxy directly (ala Firefox quick proxy
extension).

Why would I want to do this? Well I don't want to
have to reconfigure my browser (or anyone who joins my
network) most of the time, or when I leave the
network. But on the occasion that an appropriate
individual needs access to a marginaldomain I want to
have that option.

So in other words is Squid either authenticate or not
authenticated? Or can it be both depending on the ACL?

--
"If you don't know how to do something, you don't know how to do it with a computer." - Anonymous

The fish are biting.