[squid-users] RE: squid becomes unreachable, but the process is up and running

From: Jan Kormos <Jan.Kormos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:12:37 +0100

Dear all,

I have one serious issue to solve, hope anyone could help me with it :)
I have installed squid on Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft and configured it to use
NTLM auth (to windows domain) and Basic auth like:

---
auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 120
auth_param ntlm keep_alive off

auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
---

The amount of children processes was dedicated from the cache.log
warnings.

But from time to time the proxy becomes unreachable from browser. I can
ping the server, I can logon to it and also the squid process itself is
running. Each software (web browsers, ICQ, ...) using the proxy and
proxy authentication is behaving, like the server was down. Just the
squid restart helps and all is working for some time again.

When I was trying to analyse cache.log, I found this:

---
[2007/03/06 14:30:58, 3] libsmb/ntlmssp.c:debug_ntlmssp_flags(63) Got
NTLMSSP neg_flags=0xa208b207
[2007/03/06 14:34:08| Preparing for shutdown after 128471 requests
---

From 14:30:58 happend that the squid behaved like "unrechable" like I
described. I was waiting few minutes if there could be any log about
this, but as you can see untill the 14:34:08 when I run
/etc/init.d/squid restart was nothing written to log.

Could anyone help me, please :)

Thanks a lot!

Jan

Legal Disclaimer:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message