[squid-users] Re: Squid Accelerator continue serving without backend server for a little while

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:36:09 +0100

tis 2007-03-06 klockan 16:59 -0500 skrev Benno Blumenthal:

> Can this be controlled, i.e. squid not serve very old files? I have
> gotten fooled with a recent squid (2.6) hiding a down server, which did
> not happen with the 2.5 version we were running.

It hasn't realy changed much from 2.5.. except that 2.6 does this on
much more content than 2.5 did..

For best results 2.6.STABLE10 is recommended. Earlier versions had a bit
of issues of varying kind.. many of which is also seen in 2.5.

> Of course if I were properly monitoring the servers this would not be a
> problem, which might be the best answer. Would squid care if I put
> hundreds of origin servers in its list?

Squid can monitor peers (all kinds) quite in detail..

there is no direct limit on the number of peers you have, but CPU usage
may increase if you have very many as the peer selection algorithms
isn't optimized for large lists of peers. Can be fixed if needed, just a
matter of coding more efficient peer selection.