Re: [squid-users] maximum netowrk interfaces

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:46:10 +0100

tis 2007-03-13 klockan 10:20 -0400 skrev Nicolás Ruiz:

> > Sidenote: The above does not create virtual interfaces, just labelled IP
> > addresses on the eth0 interface.
>
> Then we're using the same term for different things (I call those
> virtual interfaces). How do you get around to use virtual interfaces?

Depends on what you need them for..

A single interface may carry as many IP networks or IP addresses as you
like. Addresses may be labeled with a name (i.e. eth0:label) for
management reasons, but is purely optional (well, the old ifconfig
command needs labels).

There exists a wide variety of virtual interfaces depending on your
networking needs. GRE interfaces. IPIP interfaces. 802.1q VLAN
interfaces, bonding interfaces, bridge interfaces, TUN/TAP interfaces,
MAC based VLAN interfaces, etc etc.. all serving different purposes in
networking.