[squid-users] reverse proxy

From: Milli Gurung <mgurung@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:56:20 -0800

Hello,

I'm in bit of a dilemma here. I have the mail server inside the
firewall and it redirects all incoming traffic (webmail) on port 80 to
443. Hence any internal user trying to access the webmail will be
redirected to https:..xxx.iii.com

I'm using Squid 2.5 (on Suse Enterprise Server 9) and is configured as
reverse Proxy sitting on the DMZ. The hostname of thiis proxy, lets say
xyz. The only changes I made in squid.conf file is :
http_port 80
httpd_accel_host abc
httpd_accel_ port 80
http_accel_uses_host_header off
httpd_accel_single_host on

Internal users type http://abc.iii.com, it redirects to
http://abc.iii.com but external users trying to get to webmail without
vpn type: xzy.iii.com. It fails to redirect xyz.iii.com to
https://xyz.com - get the generic IE "page cannot be displayed".
However users can still get by manually typing : http://xyz.iii.com but
this is not secured at all.

Does this mean I need to configure squid to use SSL? Since the mail
server is doing all the redirection itself, I thought I could have Squid
just redirect anything on port 80 to the emails server and email server
itself handles the redirection to https port.

Please help!!!!

--
Milli Gurung
Asst. Systems Administrator