Re: [squid-users] WCCP Module for WCCP Version 2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:36:20 +0100

tor 2007-03-15 klockan 09:11 -0400 skrev Martin Kobele:

> So ip_wccp does not need the GRE tunnel, which is what Henrik said long time
> ago ;)

;-)

> But removing ip_wccp and having the GRE tunnel does not work for me.

Which kernel versions? The WCCP support in ip_gre is fairly recent
(2.6.9 or something like that).

And make sure you follow the instructions in the FAQ on how to set up
the tunnel. There is a number of things which need to get right for it
to work..

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy#head-a7fed84c39e23407b93737da0815d1e6ed926a4f

> What protocol does ip_wccp use?

WCCP(1&v2)/GRE, nothing else. Any other GRE packets is dropped on the
floor.

> Does it setup it's own GRE thing?

ip_wccp is a WCCP-only GRE implementation, blindly decapsulating
WCCP/GRE packets with no checks of any kind, making it look like the
encapsulated IP packet was received on the receiving network interface
without encapsulation.

It can only be built as a module, and as soon as it's loaded in the
kernel it starts doing it's job on every GRE packet received on any
interface, from anyone to any configured IP address.

ip_gre is a full blown GRE implementation, and supports WCCP since quite
some time back. See the Squid FAQ for configuration instructions as
there is a number of small things to configure to make it work for WCCP.