Re: [squid-users] heavy load server's performance

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:09:56 +0800

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007, Felix New wrote:
> Hi,all:
>
> Our squid box's performance is not very good(40000 reqs/min), cpu
> load is very high, and the traffic can't great bigger than
> 100MBits/s.(Gbits/s network).
>

> We use aufs scheme now.We have a test for coss, and the result is
> not very good also(cpu overload also).
>
> can we optimize continue?Is the best performace that our hardware
> can achived?where is the bottle-neck?

Do some profiling to find out whether you're lacking CPU or IO grunt.
I started optimising the Squid-2 codebase to remove a lot of the CPU
hogs but its a big job and noone seemed willing to sponsor any work.

Try out the Squid-2-HEAD codetree and see if you notice any difference.
There's plenty of work that can be done to Squid-2 to really cut
back on the CPU overheads but *shrug* noone showed enough interest.

Adrian