Re: [squid-users] GNU malloc

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:01:27 -0800

leongmzlist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anyone have any experience w/ GNU malloc? I tried using it, but it
> seems to have a 2GB limit.
>
> OS: Debian 64, x84_64
> Squid: 32bit, latest version
>

> I originally have 32bit squid using regular system malloc; it was
> compiled on a 32bit box, but is running on a 64bit machine. Memory
> use is almost 4GB.
>
> When I changed to 32bit squid w/ GNU malloc, during the cache dir
> rescan, it gets stuck at 50%, w/ RSS at ~2GB.

So why did you switch? Perhaps that is not useful in answering your
question, but for the past 5 years or so, I have not seen a single
recommendation for using it. Knowing the root problem will make
suggesting a solution that much easier.

> mike

For what it's worth, you might find the thread starting at
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200611/0365.html
interesting.

Chris