Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy with 2 Nics

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:25:11 +0200

Jonathan Faranda schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to Squid 2.6.STABLE12 and made the adjustments you mentioned.
> I tried and start squid with /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -z and I get
> the following error:
>
> FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /usr/local/squid/var/cache: (13)
> Permission denied
>
> I am executing this as root so I don't understand the problem.

You are starting it as root; it will then switch to the user and group
specified in the config file - I believe this defaults to "nobody" and
"nogroup". So your cache dir must belong to that user for squid to be
granted access. These are basic security measures you will find
implemented in almost any unix program.

Hope this helps,
Jakob Curdes