Re: [squid-users] Large ACL problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:04:40 +0200

tis 2007-03-27 klockan 18:12 -0400 skrev Chris Rosset:
> Hello,
>
> I am still having a issue with high CPU usage.
> In a previous post it was suggested that my ACL (which is 8k+ lines)

8k+ lines of what?

for both Squid and SquidGuard it's important you use the correct acl
type for the structured data such as host names, domains etc, and only
use regex patterns as a last resort.

The problem with regex is
a) It's CPU intensive to evaluate as the whole list has to be evaluated
on each request only to find that it doesn't match any of the patterns..

b) Quite memory hungry.

The other ACL types works much more efficiently thanks to their data
being structured allowing the patterns to be sorted and searched
efficiently.