[squid-users] Caching of videos, archives applications on dynamic URL's

From: Nicos N <nicosn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:26:55 +0300

This is a "HOT" topic I am trying to solve.
Currently we use the default config for not caching dynamic URL's:

acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
cache deny QUERY

This cannot be removed as we don't want to cache dynamic pages.

However we want to cash a dynamic URL if the content on this dymanic URL is
for example OF mime type video/flv
This will cause youtube videos to be cached , right now nothing is cached as
the most flash videos, apps zips etc are using a dynamic address.

I tried to use the rep_mime_type, that means if the mime type of the reply
received by squid is for example video/flv to cache it.

acl CACHEIT rep_mime_type video/flv
cache allow CACHEIT

This didn't work, MAYBE my ACL is wrong or is bypassed by the urlpath_regex
ACL or the idea may not be fuctional.
I inserted this ACL after the urlpath_regex to overwrite the dynamic URL
rule but again WITHOUT SUCCESS.

Any ideas ? I am sure many admins would be interested on this as apart
flash videos you may configure other mime types such as :

application/octet-stream
application/zip

This will cause .exe .rar .zip etc files to ba cached and the cache
performance would increase dramatically.