Re: [squid-users] with Outlook Express

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:09:23 +0200

ons 2007-04-04 klockan 03:31 -0400 skrev Payal Rathod:

> > > Whenever my users get html mails in their OE, a login name and password
> > > window is shown. How do I prevent that?

> Any ideas on what is wrong?
> As I said in my last mail - I am using ncsa_auth
> With warm regards,

I would guess these HTML emails reference some external images or
similar.

Available options:

a) Configure the email client to NOT fetch external objects while
viewing email. Generally a good security measure, but may render some
email unreadable..

b) Figure out if there is a special User-Agent in the requests sent by
Outlook Express, and allow access without authentication from this
user-agent. Not very secure as it allows "anonymous" Internet access,
but may be acceptable in your environment.

c) Use NTLM authentication, which hides the login box from the user.
Requires your Squid server to be connected to the Windows network, and
that uses are logged on to the domain.

d) If the login box is shown each time viewing an HTML email and not
only once per Outlook Express session then talk with Microsoft ask them
to implement a credentials cache in Outlook Express when fetching
external content in HTML email, limiting the login dialog to once per
email session.

d) Accept the login box.

e) Not use authentication.