Re: [squid-users] large squid machines

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:42:06 +0800

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007, Zak Thompson wrote:
> The Iops off the san is the current bottleneck, actually I believe it's the
> iops/disk command queue that's getting backed up as well. This is why I'm
> looking to deploy squid/frontend caching services to ease the pain.

That makes sense for the small to medium sized objects. Not so much for the large
ones.

> So this is the question, RAM or fast disk drives? Maybe multiple squids,
> try to force images into memory, and the large content to disk?

For the image squids: plenty of RAM for the small objects.
For the medium sized objects: plenty of RAM and local disk.

> Unfortunately this isn't a home proxy setup or my life would be much much
> easier.
>
> Its clear that the more disk cache you have the longer it takes to access
> etc, even running diskd but say 16,24 or 32gb of memory acting as a ramdisk?

Diskd/Aufs are fine for large objects (say, more than a megabyte) but suffer
for smaller loads.

Thankfully COSS is mostly stable in Squid-2.6 and it shines when serving small
content (under half a megabyte.)

Adrian