Re: [squid-users] Stop Duplicate Logins

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:30:20 -0800

Kevin Gordon wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
> What if all my users have the same external IP address? Will that
> still work? All my users are behind a router with a single outbound
> IP.
>

> Thanks!
> Kevin

Sadly, no.

HTTP is a stateless protocol. While you only see one authentication
request per session, that's due to the fact that your browser caches the
authentication details and provides them on every subsequent request
(negating the need for the cache to prompt for authentication). Without
associating a login to an IP, things get a bit more tricky.

There has been some talk about cookie based auth
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Asquid-cache.org%2F+cookie+auth&btnG=Google+Search)
which would be a good piece of the puzzle you are attempting to solve,
but I have not seen a finalized implementation.

Chris