Re: [squid-users] new to squid

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:22:25 -0800

Bill Everhart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm brand new to squid. Up until now I've been using apache mod_proxy
> with a very simple config:
>
> ProxyRequests On
> <Proxy *>
> Order deny,allow
> Deny from all
> Allow from 10
> </Proxy>
>

> Today I found out I can no longer use mod_proxy because YUM uses
> byteranges and apache doesn't support that. I have read over the squid
> config file (wow) and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Does squid handle byterange requests?

Yes.

NAT? Otherwise check out http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Daemons/Proxy.html

> 3. Could anyone provide me with a config that doesn't cache anything
> and just works as a proxy between clients on a 10.x network to rhn?

Make the following modifications to the default config file. Search for
the lines...

#acl our_neworks src 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24
#http_access allow our_networks

... Modify and uncomment them.

acl our_networks src 10.0.0.0/8
http_access allow our_networks

Search for the lines...

acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
cache deny QUERY

... Append the following...

acl REDHAT dstdomain .redhat.com # Match all hosts in the redhat.com domain
cache deny REDHAT # Don't cache content from RedHat's servers

> ok, that was more then a couple of questions. I apprecite any help you
> guys can give me.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to cache replies from RHN, but there you
go. The above assumes you are using Squid 2.6. If using Squid 2.5,
replace all instances of "cache" with "no_cache".

Chris