[squid-users] Squid Accellerator for CD/DVD ISO Mirror

From: Brian Elliott Finley <finley@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:33:02 -0500

All,

I'm interested in using Squid in an accelerator configuration in front
of http://mirror.anl.gov/. We serve many ISO images, and I'm interested
in decreasing the load on our storage subsystem.

I'm interested in configuration recommendations. Here are two links
(generated twice an hour) that shows a list of all files currently being
downloaded from our site for each of our two front-end machines. These
links give a good idea of the kind and quantity of files I'd like to
accelerate:

    http://alpaca-i.it.anl.gov/files
    http://alpaca-ii.it.anl.gov/files

The hardware in use is described here:

    http://mirror.anl.gov/#farm

I have a tentative squid configuration that includes two local
independent 72G disks for cache on each machine, and the following
relevant details. I'm pretty sure I'm way off on the object size stuff:

    cache_mem 1000 MB
    maximum_object_size 5120000 KB
    maximum_object_size_in_memory 1024000 KB
    cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid/cache1 51200 16 256
    cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid/cache2 51200 16 256
    httpd_accel_host localhost
    httpd_accel_single_host on
    httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Thanks!