Re: [squid-users] Session helper question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:57:12 +0200

lör 2007-04-21 klockan 16:49 -0400 skrev Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET:

> I don't see it. I look at the man page from 3.0.PRE5 and
> 2.6.STABLE12 .
>
> I'll guess that you should either use -t or -a.

You may use a -t if you like, but there is a default value if you don't.

You should not use -a, see the text after the -a option for a
description of how the helper works when you don't use -a.

        "Without this flag the helper automatically starts the
        session after the first request."

> Your frst reply to me told me to use it in the active mode, so
> that would be -a. The example was removed between 2.6.STABLE12
> and 3.0.PRE5.

What I tried to tell you was to read the man page text after the -a
option, explaining how the helper operates when not using -a (i.e. what
is the default mode of operation).

You may use the active mode if you like, but it's somewhat more
complicated to use. It's meant for situations where user must actively
accept a terms-of-use page or similar before they are allowed to browse.

And the example has not been removed. It's 3.0.PRE5 which is not yet
updated.

> So looking at the example, and it talks about
> an argument LOGIN, which I don't understand whats part of that
> argument. It also talks about sessions, but what constitutes a
> session? Is it from the same IP, from the same browser, etc.

Arguments is sent via the acl directive.

A session identifier is whatever you send to the helper. Could be any of
the above, as per your external_acl_type definition.

> Is it possible to give an example of how the flow
> goes, what the browser and squid do back and forth?

It's no flow in such sense. It's just a definition of what identifies a
session in external_acl_type, and then the helper monitoring the
activity of the session and timing out the session when idle (or
alternatively explicit login/logout actions when using the -a option).