Re: [squid-users] cookie blocking?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:36:10 -0800

Craig Skinner wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:00:56PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
>>> acl cookieBlockSite dstdom_regex msn\.
>>> acl cookieBlockSite dstdom_regex aol\.
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>>
>> are you sure they have to be regexes? that's quite inefficient...
>>

> Hadn't thought of that. I found regex after I done some more research
> following on the back of what Chris suggested.
>
> What is preferable here?:
>
> Absolutely listing google.co.uk, google.de, google.com.au,.....
>
> Or a regex on google?
>
> Same for msn & others.

The answer to this question depends entirely on your frame of
reference. Preferable to Squid performance would be to absolutely list
the domains using a dstdomain acl. Preferable to the admin might be
using regex on google. Depending on how many domains you are trying to
match, how many requests your cache is servicing and what kind of
hardware you are using, the performance hit from using regex might be
negligible.

After all, by default every Squid install is using a urlregex to prevent
caching of cgi-bin and any GET requests with arguments (see the cache,
(or no-cache, depending on your Squid version) directive in your
squid.conf).

Chris