Re: [squid-users] Timeout explanation in layman's term

From: squid squid <squidusr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:15:38 +0800

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the advise. So I have got read_timeout and request_timeout
mixed up. If I want to ensure that the connection from client PC --> Squid
Proxy Server --> Web Server is always there or dropped after certain time,
pls advise what are the timeout/setting that I should set??? Thank you.

>From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
>To: squid squid <squidusr@hotmail.com>
>CC: squid-users@squid-cache.org
>Subject: Re: [squid-users] Timeout explanation in layman's term
>Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:03:16 +0200
>
>tor 2007-04-26 klockan 20:56 +0800 skrev squid squid:
>
> > connect_timeout 120 seconds - This is a timeout between Squid Proxy
>Server
> > --> Web Server and if after 120 seconds, Squid Proxy Server does not get
> > reply from Web Server, it will response to the Client PC of connection
>timed
> > out error to the Web Server.
>
>Not reply. Just to connect to the server in order to send the request.
>(TCP connect).
>
> > read_timeout 120 seconds - This is a timeout between Client PC --> Squid
> > Proxy Server and if after 120 seconds, the client PC is idle (ie. IE did
>not
> > send any request), Squid Proxy Server will drop the connection between
>the
> > Client PC and Squid Proxy Server.
>
>read_timeout is on the server connection. If the server is idle not
>returning a piece of response within this time Squid gives up. Default
>15 minutes.
>
>It's also used as timeout while trying to send the request to the server
>btw..
>
> > request_timeout 30 seconds - This is a timeout between Squid Proxy
>Server
> > --> Web Server. Squid Proxy Server able to communicate with the Web
>Server
> > upon receiving a request from the Client PC. However the Web Server is
>not
> > able to complete the request after 30 seconds, Squid Proxy Server will
> > response to the Client PC of connection timed out error to the Web
>Server.
>
>request_timeout is between client->squid. Here is two different timeouts
>(request_timeout and persistent_request_timeout). The first is the
>timeout before which the client must send the first request after
>establishing a TCP connection to the proxy, the second is the timeout
>before which the client must send the next request after the response to
>the previous..
>
> > pconn_timeout 120 seconds - This is a timeout between Squid Proxy Server
>-->
> > Web Server and if after 120 seconds, Squid Proxy Server will drop the
> > connection between the Squid Proxy Server and Web Server.
>
>Correct. Server connections not used for more than pconn_timeout is
>dropped to avoid wasting server resources no longer needed.
>
>Regards
>Henrik

><< signature.asc >>

Get MSN Messenger emoticons and display pictures here!
http://ilovemessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-sg