Re: [squid-users] Squid, Reverse Proxy, Large Uploads

From: Justin Dossey <jbd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> tor 2007-04-26 klockan 16:56 -0700 skrev Justin Dossey:
>
> > Some of my users complain that large POSTs in the neighborhood of
> > 30-100MB, which worked before we introduced Squid into the mix, now fail
> > at some point along the process (it varies).
>
> Do you know if the failure is after about the same amount of time, or if
> that too varies?
>
> > Notwithstanding HTTP's suitability for uploads, how can I make this work?
>
> First it needs to be identified how the POSTs is terminated..

The browser receives a 502 Bad Gateway (zero-sized reply). Squid's error
header is "ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT 0". As I mentioned
before, bypassing squid results in a 200 instead (some time later).

In my tests, I got the 502 after the following times:

709 seconds (11 minutes, 49 seconds) (about 20 MB)
1032 seconds (17 minutes, 12 seconds) (about 29 MB)
610 seconds (10 minutes, 10 seconds) (about 14 MB)

I can reproduce this without trouble, but I cannot think of a good way to
provide TCP dumps of the communication between the webserver and the squid
server because there is so much similar traffic (>100 Mbit) and it takes
more than an instant to produce.

> Have you changed any of the timeouts in squid.conf? Specifically, what
> is the lifetime_timeout set to?

I have not changed any timeouts in squid.conf, so the client_lifetime is
default at 1 day. I can find no reference to any "lifetime_timeout"
configuration directive in the squid configuration manual-- what is this?

--
Justin Dossey
Operations, podOmatic