Re: [squid-users] COSS causing squid Segment Violation on FreeBSD 6.2S

From: Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 07:34:37 +0200

* Mark Powell (M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk):

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 26, 2007, Mark Powell wrote:
> >
> >>BTW I'll still test your patch with the POSIX AIO code built into squid
> >>(which is what you've kinda requested?)
> >
> >You're using aufs and COSS - so by default it'll use the Squid
> >thread-pools based
> >AIO. Keep using that. USE_AUFSOPS=0 means "use squid thread-pools based AIO
> >from aufs".
>
> The version of squid being built from the port has USE_AUFSOPS=1 in
> config.log. It does not use the --enable-coss-aio-ops option.
>
> >./squid -v ; check the configure line for:
> >
> > --enable-coss-aio-ops Enable COSS I/O with Posix AIO (default is aufs
> > I/O)
>
> Using the version made with the port:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/squid -v | grep enable-coss-aio-ops
> #

[Hello, this is the FreeBSD squid port maintainer speaking (you can use
"make maintainer" or "make -VMAINTAINER" to find out who is currently
responsible for a port). The $FreeBSD$ line is just an indication about
the FreeBSD ports committer who happened to commit the changes proposed
by the maintainer.]

Regarding COSS and AIO: the FreeBSD port sets --enable-coss-aio-opts and
requires aio(4) to be loaded if you build Squid with support for UFS,
diskd and COSS. If you add AUFS to the mix, COSS will use AUFS provided
routines for async io and you do not need to kldload aio to get COSS
working. See the section in the port's Makefile starting at line 251
that deals with the SQUID_AUFS option.