Re: [squid-users] Really transparent proxy

From: omero omero <hotmadtank@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Facundo,

I read you message and the replies. I think that the
replies did not solve your problem. I did not open the
links provided, but i read the conclusion which is to
deny Via and X-Forwarded-For (XFF). You do not need to
deny anything. Actually, you need to disable the
transmission of Via and XFF. There is a big difference
between [denying Via and XFF] and [disabling
transmission of Via and XFF]. Denying Via and XFF is
to deny HTTP requests that comes from a client which
has a proxy server installed on it (with Via and XFF
bieng enbaled on that proxy server). You want to
prevent internet servers from detecting that your are
behind a proxy, therefore you need to disable
transmission of Via and XFF.

To do that, add the following 2 lines to your squid
conf file and don't forget to restart the service
after you save the file:

forwarded_for off
via off

BUT WAIT, you said that at your server, you did not
set any proxy and the site you enter is detecting that
you are behind a proxy. Actually, this is not related
to the squid proxy server installed on your server.
You get internet from an ISP, and this ISP has a proxy
server on it. Right? Sure. The proxy server of your
ISP will add the Via and XFF. You can't do anything
about it from your side. You might want to use
ANONYMOUS proxy servers that can serve your purpose by
modifying requests after they are in no more
controlled by your ISP. Requests go likes this: You
--> Your ISP --> Anonymous Proxy server --> Target
Site.

Regards.

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200604/0013.html

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200604/0014.html

> > In short:
> >
> > header_access Via deny all
> > header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
>
> And check "TPROXY" and Squid-2.6. Its supported in
> squid-3, but some features
> have yet to be ported.
>

> Adrian

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time