Re: [squid-users] Median Response Time

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:22:51 +0545

On Wed, 9 May 2007 02:20:19 -0300
"Alexandre Correa" <alexandre@sabbath.com.br> wrote:

> The L1 Value (144) i reached by using formula posted on this list, but
> i will decrease to 72 !! thanks
>
> about median time... for example, NOW, my traffic is very low.. 60
> users surfing the web light ... and.. sometimes,
>
> May 9 02:02:37 california squid[2600]: WARNING: Median response time
> is 339 milliseconds
>
> maybe some user surfing on a slow site.. because the time to load
> pages are normal (i think)
>
> considering the latency from Brazil to EUA (180ms average), my home
> network running at 512 kbits/s completely load the www.cnn.com with 17
> seconds... www.nytimes.com load at 14 seconds..

> www.uol.com.br ... -> 2.1 seconds
> www.terra.com.br -> 2.7 seconds
>
> at peak time, my proxy receives about 100~120 req/s ..
>
> my system is Fedora Core 3 64bits, kernel 2.6.16 build with EMT64 and SMP
> system ahs 2.5GB of ram..
> proxy running on a dedicated SCSI drive, 10k rpm 73gb..
>

> how squid calculate this "median time" ? i´m confused about :P

Hi Alexandre,

For some description, you can see 2 posts and articles below posted by Henrik Nordstrom and Duane Wessels:

They will provide you the answer and other excellent recommendations too:

http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg02710.html

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/03/25/squid.html?page=2

> Thanks all for help :)
>
> best regards !!