[squid-users] Squid as Acceleration Proxy in a Squid Cluster

From: Marcel Alburg <alb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 00:02:45 +0200

Hello,

my Networks looks like

                  Internet

                [LB] -ha- [LB]
                  | |
     +-------------------------------------+
     | |
    [Squid + Apache] [Squid + Apache]

All Hosts has running a webserver at 127.0.0.1:80 and a squid at the
official IP Adresse on Port 80.

The LoadBalancer ([LB]) forward the request to on of the server. The
Squid checks his Cache and it the cache valid he send from cache
otherwise he ask the local apache.

We've a lot of hosts with this configuration and we've a problem, that
any squid cache his own version from a webpage (n-Nodes could be n
different Versions from a webpage - because the access and
generationtime differs).

My question is. It is possible to let ask the Squid the other nodes in
the network if the requested page cached. And has any node a cached
version - than deliver this cached version - otherwise ask the local apache.

I tried a lot of different configs but nothing works to my contentment.

a other problem is:

If ask the squid the local page and gets an Error 404 or 500 he should
ask the other Proxies for any valid cached version and deliver that
version. The Webuser should not see the 500 Errors (if we had a lot of
load at the server, the error 500 pages comes often).

And i wanna stop the local apache at one node and the squid should
notice that and ask the other nodes.

One of my not working config was like this

cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 80 0 originserver no-query default
allow-miss
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 sibling 80 3130
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 sibling 80 3130
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 sibling 80 3130