Re: [squid-users] pac and dat woes

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:50:32 +1200 (NZST)

> On Thu, May 10, 2007, Pitti, Raul wrote:
>> I am having problem with Firefox 1.5, FF2.XX and IE 6 and 7 and proxy
>> autoconfiguration. After a few days of searching and trying, i am
>> unable to use autoconfiguration for my proxy.
>
> I've made WPAD work but I've not made it work with a DHCP configuration.
> I've done mine with DNS.
>
> Does anyone here have an example of a WPAD+DHCP configuration? If so I'd
> like to talk to you and document it on the Wiki.

grr ... top-poster.

Yes I have WPAD+DHCP going. I encountered very similar problems.
There were two workaround I had to use

First, was discarding all the common online instructions. They only seem
to work for one or the other not both Ffx and IE.

DO NOT rename option 252 inside the dhcp config. Each time you need it
send it explicitly by number. There is something about the way most DHCP
agents do name aliasing that IE hates.

Secondly, the DNS wpad.* MUST have * equal to at least one of the 'domain'
settings in resolv.conf in linux and 'default-domain' in dhcp.conf for
windows (there is probably a machine domain config for windows but I don't
use it).

Aside from that, each Ffx has to be set explicitly to 'Automatically
Detect Network Settings'. The default is a forced DIRECT connection.

I will be back at the machines that do this in a few hours and can give
you exact examples then.

Amos