Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac config

From: K K <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:57:15 -0500

On 5/10/07, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
> There's plenty of examples of proxy.pac file based load balancing and failover.

It's important to keep in mind that some PAC behavior, including
failover, is different for different browsers and browser versions --
this particularly applies to IE, which for example, caches everything
about PAC, included failed proxies, and won't forget until the
iexplore.exe process ends and is restarted.

This means that once IE has detected a failed proxy, it will
automatically failo ver, but will not "fail back", will never try a
failed proxy again until you exit and restart.

> Watch this list, I have a feeling I'm going to be writing a couple of Squid
> Wiki articles on successfully deploying WPAD and proxy.pac files to finally
> demystify the mess..

Tell me about it. I've been told that I should write a WPAD/APC/PAC
book, but O'Reilly said that one chapter in the rock thrush book was
more than enough for their needs.

Kevin

(P.S. Have you heard about the magical PAC refresh option in Microsoft's IEAK?)