Re: [squid-users] Bandwidth Requirements

From: Dustin Berube <dustin.berube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:46:18 -0400

squid3@treenet.co.nz wrote:
>> I am looking at implementing squid for one of my clients and have a
>> question regarding bandwidth usage. In the scenario I will have multiple
>> locations with very few PC's approximately 2-3 machines per location.
>>
>> If I setup a main squid server in one of my main locations with a
>> standard DSL connection (3.0Mbps down and 512K up) and VPN the stores
>> into that main server, will I notice a large delay when waiting for
>> pages to load?
>>
>> My second question is if I use that scenario will the internet traffic
>> all flow under through the proxy or will it just check the URL and then
>> use the default route which will be the local internet connect?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Dustin
>>

> Um, the best use of Squid is to prevent usage of slow links like your 512K
> up. If the clients are on the other end of it to squid then you really
> need a great reason to force them to use it.
>
> On the information you have given the answers are definately, and maybe.
> But some info on what you are trying to do may change that.

My reason for forcing them to use a proxy server is to setup URL
filtering and a URL blacklist to block common spyware sites, porn sites,
myspace and youtube from access on company computers. I am not really
concerned in caching sites, but rather block access to previously
mentioned types of sites. An example of one of the locations that I
would have to use a VPN tunnel is a kiosk they have in a mall. There is
only 3 computers total at that location an no room to drop in a
dedicated squid box.