[squid-users] tcp_outgoing_address - Multiple external IPs

From: Ashutosh Naik <ashutosh.naik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:19:04 +0530

Hi folks,

I wanted to know if there is an easy way to be able to bind to
every available IP on the machine & in turn broadcast / tunnel through
a particular IP if it is the IP connected to.

I have multiple external IPs on a box. Right now, in squid I have to
set "tcp_outgoing_address" in the squid.conf to the outgoing IP
address I want to use. The problem here is that if I want to use a
different outgoing address, I have to edit
the squid.conf to reflect the new IP and then restart squid for the
changes to take effect.

What I would rather have is squid automatically bind to every IP & the
tcp_outgoing_address should be the one that was connected to.

For eg.

1. squid-2.6.STABLE13 is installed on box with 3 IPs (204.231.10.11-13)

2. I connect to www.whatismyip.com using the proxy 204.131.10.11:3128
and my ip is shown as 201.131.10.11

3. I connect to www.whatismyip.com using the proxy 204.131.10.12:3128
and my ip is shown as 201.131.10.12

4. I connect to www.whatismyip.com using the proxy 204.131.10.13:3128
and my ip is shown as 201.131.10.13

Is there a way to acheive cases 2,3 & 4 simultaneously without squid
requiring a restart ?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Best Regards
Ashutosh