[squid-users] finding the reason why an object is cached or not...

From: Anton Melser <melser.anton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:33:36 +0200

Hi,
I am trying to understand why certain objects are cached and others
not (in a web accelerator setup). For example, squid is caching
http://my.site.org/images/hello.gif
but not
http://my.site.org/js/hello.js
Both files are well under any limits (< 2KB)
But for another site, pretty much everything is getting cached, i.e.,
http://my.othersite.org/images/hello.gif
and
http://my.othersite.org/js/hello.js
are giving hits.
The only difference I could see in the headers (as reported via the
firefox plugin httpheaders) is that the first js is gzipped. Could
that be it? I tried disabling the apache gzip exclusion thingie
#acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
#broken_vary_encoding allow apache
But that didn't seem to change anything. Does anyone have any pointers?
Cheers
Anton