[squid-users] using packet filtering to discover TCP end-to-end latency

From: Rohit Grover <rgrover1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:36:17 +1200

Hello,

I need to discover the TCP end-to-end latency between web clients and
servers transparently (i.e. without altering the clients or the
servers in any way). I have squid running as a proxy server on a linux
box, sitting between the clients and the servers. I can have the
clients change their proxy settings to have requests pass through
squid. Squid can measure latencies between itself and the web servers.
The problem is to measure the network latency when squid tries to
forward the server responses back to clients.

Can packet filtering help me with this? Can I, for example, filter for
the client ACK of the last bit of data sent from squid back to the
client?

Also, I still need to device a solution to measure network latency
experienced by the client's SYN sent to the squid box. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Rohit Grover.