Re: [squid-users] Kinder, gentler ignore-auth option

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:39:11 -0400

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> mån 2007-05-21 klockan 10:43 -0400 skrev Benno Blumenthal:
>

>> either in ignore-auth or in some other option? Then authorization
>> would still work, and it would cache for each user under Basic
>> authentication (not digest, unfortunately).
>>

> Why do you want Squid to act as a per-user cache? The browser caches
> does that job pretty good..
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Because my client is not a browser, it is a service that analyzes data,
and uses other services to access data, and I wrote the server/client to
let squid do the caching, rather than reinventing the wheel. I am
encouraging the data service in question to label their HTTP responses
correctly (with Cache-Control: public and Vary: Authorization) headers,
but not clear that they will pay any attention to me, a story you
probably have heard before.

I did actually figure out a way around the problem: a data access
involves several HTTP requests (as it happens), so I wrote a pair of
refresh rules: one pattern for the first request of the set (so that it
won't cache and authentication happens), and I ignore-auth cache the
rest of the set (which is the important data payload -- read slower --
anyway).

But I wrote in part because I couldn't be sure which way ignore-auth was
intended: it would be nice if the documentation were explicit about the
header equivalent.

Thanks for asking,

Benno