[squid-users] LDAP Passthrough Authentication

From: Justin Doles <Justin.Doles@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:36:48 -0400

I'm curious if there is anyway of doing passthrough authentication via Squid? I'm using 2.6.STABLE13-20070524 right now.

What I'm asking is that instead of the prompt that pops up for a user to enter their user name & password I would like to pass the credentials from OS.

My initial thought is that there's likely not a solution at hand to do this. I know with Microsoft's ISA server you can pass credentials, but that's do to the fact that it uses IIS in the background. I was also able to do this with Novell's Bordermanager product, but it required the client to run a special app (called ClientTrust) in order to pass the credentials.

So while I'm at it, I was thinking that maybe an alternative would be to redirect the users to a web page where they can enter their credentials and then forward the credentials to Squid somehow. I've written web based LDAP apps before so I know how to do that portion, but I'm not sure how I could pass this on to Squid. But the gears are turning in my head I type.... ;)

Sorry for the long email.... Maybe some of the gurus on this list can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Justin Doles
named recipient(s) only.