[squid-users] Transfer-Encoding support in Squid 2.6

From: Ben Drees <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:05:18 -0700

Hi,

I'm running Squid 2.6 STABLE12 as a reverse proxy. The origin servers
are Apaches (2.0.58) configured to gzip most responses (which are all
dynamic) with mod_deflate. The fact that Squid is an HTTP 1.0 client has
the undesirable effect, in this scenario, that every compressed response
results in a connection closure. If I use telnet to replay a forwarded
request, changing only the "HTTP/1.0" to "HTTP/1.1", the response
includes "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" and "Connection: Keep-Alive"
rather than "Connection: Close". If only there were some other way to
produce this outcome.

It looks like Squid includes some code that supports "Transfer-Encoding:
chunked", so my question is: How can Apache (or any other origin server)
be coaxed into using "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" in its responses if
Squid advertises itself as an HTTP 1,0 client? Is that code in Squid
only as a best effort patch to deal with responses inappropriately
transfer-encoded by origin servers?

What sorts of things would break if Squid advertised itself as an HTTP
1.1 client?

Thanks,
Ben