[squid-users] Purging and/or Refreshing with Peering enabled.

From: Daniel Pitts <Daniel.Pitts@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:41:28 -0700

Hello everyone, I'm new to this mailing list, and I have a question
about Squid setup.

So, here's the setup:
We have a load-balanced Apache server, proxying to a load-balanced and
peered (round-robin) Squid servers, which caches for a load-balanced app
server.

We've disabled nocache on the squid server, because we were getting to
many nocache requests from I.E. 5 clients.

We now need to be able to force a cache refresh for specific URLs
(actually, we have headers that contribute to the cache-key also).

So, my questions are.
1. With the current set up, will Squid go to our app servers after a
Purge, or might they try their peer first?
2. Does having a pragma no-cache force Squid to store the newly
retrieved data from the origin server?
3. Is there an easy way to disable no-cache for the general case, but
allow a set of IP addresses to request a URL with the no-cache header?
4. And finally, is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do? I've
also considered having squid convert no-cache to if-modified-since, but
that puts some extra work on our app servers to honor that header
appropriately.

Thanks,
Daniel.