Re: [squid-users] Poor performance

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:31:54 +0545

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:17:19 -0300
Andrey Bibiano Jardim <andreyjardim@ufsj.edu.br> wrote:

> Hi list.
> - I've a network with 1600 PCs. I'm using to fws (Fedora 3 with
> IPTABLES), and transparent proxy with squid, installed on both FWs.
> - I splited the net to 800 PCs for each fw.
> - I have a very poor network performance. I have a link of 6MBs.
> - I intend also that squid force the cache to some files (EXE, GIF,
> JPG...), as it would supposed to do.

Hi Andrey,

If you have 2 Squid boxes, you can define them as siblings and use ICP to query each other to get more effective caching.

It would be more helpful if you can provide us the results of:

squidclient mgr:info

> - How to set squid as FQDN?

Your question to set squid as FQDN is a little unclear.

> Thanks in advance;
> Andrey
>

> -> Interesting things on squid.conf
>
> cache_swap_low 80
> cache_swap_high 85

Below are the values that I use in my Squid boxes. But your needs and mileage may differ.

You can set:

cache_swap_low 90
cache_swap_high 98

> ipcache_size 2048
> fqdncache_size 5000

ipcache_size 4096
fqdncache_size 8192

> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Transproxy should work fine.

> # cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid tamanho_maximo diretorios subdirs
> cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 1000 200 10

You can increase the size of your cache_dir and also reduce the L1 directories. Also increase your L2 directories like:

cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 10000 16 256

You also have the options to use aufs or diskd in place of ufs.

> cache_mem 500 MB
> maximum_object_size 1000 KB
> minimum_object_size 1 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 300 KB

cache_mem 128 MB
maximum_object_size 131072 KB
minimum_object_size 1 KB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 32 KB

> fqdncache_size 10000

Why are you defining fqdncache_size twice?

> cache_replacement_policy lru
> memory_replacement_policy lru

You can try using different policies like the below but yours should also work fine.

cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF

> cache_store_log none
>
> #
> # Usa o proprio dnsmasq como server :-)
> #
> dns_nameservers 192.168.0.252
> dns_testnames www.ufmg.br

I also suggest you to upgrade to Squid-2.6 for many benefits as compared to Squid-2.5.

Thanking you...

- --

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,