Re: [squid-users] squid asking password repeatedly

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:30:35 -0800

Prasad Deshpande wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Squid 2.6 Stable 5. I am facing typical problem of
> authentication. I have restricted one user (joe) to one particular site.
> It is working fine but it keeps on asking the password repeatedly. I
> have also tried restarting the squid. Can any body help me in this?
>
> The acl used are:
>
> acl sitepermitted dstdomain .mydomain.com
> acl user1 proxy_auth joe
> http_access allow sitepermitted user1
> http_access deny user1
>
> acl auth_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access allow auth_users
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Prasad Deshpande
> Pune. India.

My guess would be there is some off-site content referenced from the
allowed site. Since you are denying based on an authentication acl,
Squid asks for alternate authentication that would allow this content.
Change your http_access deny line to "http_access deny user1 all", and
see if the authentication requests are diminished.

Chris