Re: [squid-users] squid cache dns?

From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <leolistas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:49:24 -0300

Snow Wolf escreveu:
> When Squid was running on transparent mode,it would make lots of DNS
> queries.
> Would Squid cache those DNS query results for some time?I didn't see
> an available directive for this purpose in squid.conf.

    The big problem here is that in transparent proxy, DNS queries are
NOT forwarded to squid, only http ones.

    So your clients will do DNS queries to the DNS they are configured
to query. If DNS resolves fine, the HTTP query will be made and this one
will be forwarded to squid in transparent proxy fashion.

    And when squid receives the HTTP query, it will have to DNS query
again ....

    So, no matter squid is caching or not DNS queries, you'll still see
lots of DNS queries in your network from your clients AND from squid as
well.

--
	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues