Re: [squid-users] Squid as a content filter proxy: whitelist approach

From: <lists-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:51:22 +0100 (BST)

>> I know it's possible (and perhaps written in stone in an RFC) to have the
>> client maintain a proxy exclusion list, but that would be unmanageble in
>> this sort of setup.
>
> Is it? You use a centrally provided proxy.pac to control the browser.
> You don't need a complete whitelist in the proxy.pac, just sufficient to
> avoid wasting too much bandwidth.

Thanks for your response.
I've done a bit of digging around but have found little info on proxy.pac
files. Can i assume, before i do more digging around, that I can put an
exclusion list in a .pac file, and have squid push it transparently to
each web browser client upon first http request? The transparency is
important, as getting each user to configure their browser is out of the
question in this setup. I can already see problems with exclusion lists
becoming large enough to take a substantial time to download to the
clients.

Again, one could imagine an proxy exclusion list held on the squid server,
that when a URL request is received by squid, if it matches the exclusion
list, squid could answer "go directly to destination", but i doubt that is
part of the http-proxy protocol.

cheers

Jack