Re: [squid-users] Squid and Windows Update

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:19:39 +1200 (NZST)

> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>>> Is it possible to do that while retaining authentication for users?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Just allow access to the windows update servers before where you
>> normally require authentication.
>>
>> Regards
>> Henrik
>
> That's what we do and it works very well. We do the same for common
> antivirus update sites too. :-)
>
> Just a thought on WindowsUpdate via squid though, it's very very slow
> through squid. Seems to take
> many minutes to check for updates, but when bypassing the proxy this is
> not the case. I wonder if
> this is normal for squid?

It is a side effect of WindowsUpdate that has been seen before on occasion
under some squid configs.

WindowsUpdate apparently pulls its data from the main servers using
partial Ranges. Squid does not to my knowledge fully support storage of
partial ranges (we have plans to improve this but no sponsor yet I think).
Also some configurations are set to always pull the entire file when a
range is requested.
The cachability settings of the WU servers may also be a factor.

If your config has been set to always pull the entire file and cache it,
you could try allowing squid to pull ranges and not cache them.

Amos