Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD Squid timeout issue

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:27:19 +1200 (NZST)

> Hello,
> Thanks for all replies.
> I've got a good hard disk, i've been checking that and haven't found
> any
> problems or seen any error msgs in my logs.
> I've adjusted my high cache size from 100% to 95% but i'm starting to
> look at is squid purging oldest items from my cache? It seems like when
> the
> cache gets full or nearly so i start having this issue?
> As for my pornography and spyware rejection files they are each a
> considerable size, they are lists of sites i don't want visited,
> downloaded,
> or to have anything to do with. If there's a way to speed this up i'm all
> for it.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Make sure that you are using dst or dstdomain as the ACL types on teh
lareg lists instead of regex.
 The regex is quite slow and large lists often become a drag. After
splitting the lists into 'need regex' and dstdomain eth speed increase is
still often worth the extra time spent maintaining two lists.

Make sure there is extra space on the cache disk. All the tutorials
mention making the cache 60%-80% of drive size. I can't recall what the
exact reasons were but it had something to do with OS-level handling on
the drive.

Amos