Re: [squid-users] IM blocking in squid?

From: Emilio Casbas <ecasbas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:05:11 +0200

Joerg Schuetter escribió:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:19:46 +0800
> Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

>>> ICQ? MSN? Windows Messenger? AOL? Skype? Jabber? IRC? Sametime?
>>> Or http://webmessenger.msn.com/ or http://talk.google.com/ ?
>> My question is just as vague as the various questions people ask
>> about "blocking IM". Hence why I'd like to arrange a Wiki article
>> about it!
>
> This is how we block IM to msn, but leafe the connection open to
> "normal" web-pages on msn.
>
> acl msn_req req_mime_type application/x-msn-messenger
> acl msn_rep rep_mime_type application/x-msn-messenger
> http_access deny mynetwork msn_req
> http_reply_access deny mynetwork msn_rep

We have the above directives to block MSN plus the below to block skype.

acl CONNECT method CONNECT
acl skype url_regex ^[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+
deny_info ERR_CLIENT_HTTPS2IP_DENIED skype
http_access deny CONNECT skype

This paper give some slightly explanation
http://packetstormsecurity.org/papers/general/BlockingSkype-rootn0de2005.pdf

As Matus pointed in a previous mail, to block IM with squid all IM
traffic must be (re)directed to squid so MSN, Jabber and GTalk clients
should have the proxy connections configured. In the case of MSN client
is not needed because catch the IE proxy configuration.

To block correctly the IM in a network it depends a lot of the network
architecture.

Thanks
Emilio C.