Re: [squid-users] --enable-fd-config

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:57:25 +0200

tor 2007-06-28 klockan 14:03 +1200 skrev squid3@treenet.co.nz:
> You neglect to mention exactly which version of squid you are running...
>
> But, Just for the time waster I thought I'd see where that option came from.
> It appears to be a RedHat/FedoraCore addition to their release of
> 2.5STABLE3, and carried into the 2.6 by FC as recently as:

Oh, well.. reading the fedora patch...

What the patch does is to limit the number of filedescriptors to the
minimum of ulimit and the new squid.conf setting, so they have actually
introduced one more limit, not really made it easier to increase the
setting. They could just as well do away with the patch and replace it
with a /etc/sysconfig/squid variable tuning the ulimit (which then need
to add anyway to make it possible for users to use the new squid.conf
directive..)

so no, this is not a patch likely to go into the main sources. But
adding a squid.conf directive is probably a good idea, and to stop
obeying ulimit.. could even get rid of the --with-maxfd dependencies in
most cases.