Re: [squid-users] increasing fds

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:24:22 +0200

fre 2007-06-29 klockan 07:08 +0800 skrev SSCR Internet Admin:
> Hi,
>
> I already set the max number of file to open (fs.file-max = 65535) at
> sysctl.conf, is it also needed to edit a part of squid source code so that
> it can avail the new value (ie, __FD_SETSIZE)? If it is, where can I edit it
> and what source code file?

You need to set the configure option --with-maxfd=NNN (or alternatively
the ulimit) when compiling Squid, and also raise the ulimit before
starting Squid (best done in your init script starting Squid).

There is no need to set the system wide fs.file-max sysctl limit. The
default is much larger, and setting it this low will only cause
problems. (it's the system wide total limit of all processes, not the
per-process limit)

You do NOT, repeat NOT, need to change any system headers. This has not
been needed for many many years.