[squid-users] Automatic switching of squid to a second internet link?

From: Danish Siddiqui <dsiddiqui@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:52:05 +0000

Hi,
Ive got squid proxy server running on a CentOS 4.4 machine. This proxy
server is connected to the internet through a Sonicwall PRO3060
firewall machine.

We have got three different ISP lines, one of which is used by squid.
All the three lines terminate at the firewall. One of these links then
goes to the squid server.
Many a times it happens that the internet link on the squid line goes
down, because of which we have to switch the squid server on to one of
the remaining ISP lines.

I was planning a setup in which an extra NIC would be attached to the
squid server. This NIC would be connected to a different ISP line, so
that when one link goes down, the squid proxy server automatically
switches on to the next line, wherein the LAN users dont get to feel
the difference while browsing. Also, when the original link gets
restored, the squid server automatically switches back on to the
original link

My current setup requires me to deny access to the squid server till
the time it is up again.

Is this setup possible? And if yes, can you please tell me how or
point me to the necessary resources.

Thanks
Danish The information contained in this electronic message and any
addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
immediately and destroy the original message all copies of this message
and any attachments.
should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted by this email.