Re: [squid-users] Squid and level 4 switch

From: Ming-Ching Tiew <mingching.tiew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:05:02 +0800

From: "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@creative.net.au>

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> >
> > Anyone has experience with level 4 switch ? What is the working
> > principle of a level 4 in respect to redirecting web traffic to a cache
> > engine ? Does it do dst IP address rewrite ( iptables DNAT ) or
> > does it do dst MAC address rewrite ( ebtables dnat ) when redirecting
> > traffic to the cache engine ?
>
> You need to be more specific when you say "Layer 4 switch", as how it
> does things depends entirely on the switch.
>
> Cisco TCAM switches with L3 functionality will want to do L2 rewrite.
> It'll rewrite the source/destination MAC address and send the packet off
> to the cache for (potential) interception.

I got the word "level 4 switch" from someone who knows nothing else,
so I have to make guesses too. But I would imagine that it is doing L2
rewrite.
Care to elaborate how the L2 rewrite in Cisco TCAM works ?

Does it constantly do arp request based on IP of the cache engine and update
the MAC address accordingly ( much like ip routing does ) or it statically
configure the the mac address of the cache engine ?

Regards.