Re: [squid-users] Squid and level 4 switch

From: Ming-Ching Tiew <mingching.tiew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:52 +0800

From: "Michel Santos" <michel@lucenet.com.br>

> aren't you mixing things here? *layer* 4 and *level* 4 are different
> things and policy routing eventually is still another

I know you are the expert but your answers are not helping at all.

I don't need to be told that you are the expert but I will be glad
to be told how different and in what way they are different.

> for policy routing you do not need a level 4 bridge neither a level 4
> switch because any OS with any kind of forwarding capable firewall package
> can do that and in order to do routing (any) you do not need a bridge
> setup at all

I was just trying to slip in a box which does things transparently.
I intend to get a little further than this, I want to even add gre to it
so then it will hopefully behave like a Cisco doing WCCP2 with an
external squid box with wccp2 configured.

Purpose is modest :- Use it to check if the squid is set up correctly
without disturbing existing network.

Maybe you could be a little more specific about if you were to do it,
how would you go about doing it. More specifically when the
squid is 'tproxy transparent', ie when the forward path is spoofed,
how to you handle the routing of the return path.

Regards.