Re: [squid-users] Cache is running out of filedescriptors

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:12 +0545

Sathyan, Arjonan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am receiving more warnings on my cache.log
>
> "2007/07/20 10:26:18| WARNING! Your cache is running out of
> filedescriptors"
>
> We used to increase the Number File descriptor value whenever we receive
> such errors.
>
> Current File descriptor value,
>
> "max_open_disk_fds 32768"
>
> [root@ussvlpxy02 root]# ulimit -a
> core file size (blocks, -c) 0
> data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
> file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
> max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 4
> max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
> open files (-n) 32768
> pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
> stack size (kbytes, -s) 10240
> cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes (-u) 7168
> virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
>
> My squid version,
>
> [root@ussvlpxy02 root]# /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -v
> Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE13
> configure options: --enable-smartfilter
>
> But even after increasing these values I am getting the same error.
> Please let me know what I should do to avoid these warnings.

Hi Sathyan,

I am just pasting from my earlier post. By the way, which OS are you
running Squid?

You need to increase the size of _FD_SETSIZE in your
/usr/include/bits/typesizes.h file.

After increasing the above value to 8192, you type ulimit -HSn 8192 and
compile Squid.

I suggest you to upgrade to the latest version of Squid for many
benefits regarding performance among others?

Please see the links below and see if it helps.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompleteFaq#head-eb3240fe8e61368056af86138a2b5dcbc9781a54

http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg35858.html

Thanking you...

--