[squid-users] forward and reverse proxy - the difference

From: Ming-Ching Tiew <mingching.tiew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:30:42 +0800

Believe it or not, I got problem understanding the basics.

What's the difference between forward and reverse proxy.

When I read the article,

http://jayant7k.blogspot.com/2006/10/reverse-proxy-using-squid.html

When I read paragraph 3,4 & 5, I think what is said about
reverse proxy is equally applicable to forward proxy. Is there
a simpler way to explain the difference between the two ?

But of course, for forward proxy, I would not need to configure cache_peer.
So why is there a need for 'vhost' and 'vport' directive ?

Regards.