Re: [squid-users] Transparent Squid problem unknown

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:32:55 +0545

Javed wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I wanted to run transparent proxy on a RHEL 4.0 machine (using rpm based SQUID provided with RHEL4.0). All configs were done. But I couldn't get the transparent benefit of SQUID, i.e. I had to enter proxy server's IP and port (3128) in each client's LAN settings. If I don't do that, there is no entry in var/log/squid/access.log. I have also entered iptables entry as : iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eht1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128 - but all in vain. I also replaced the eth1 in iptables to eth0; which is directly connected to the DSL router; but that didn't work either.

Hi Javed,

> Settings/Configurations I did are as follows:
> httpd_port 3128

http_port 3128 ?
Maybe typo mistake.

> acl allowedips src 192.168.1.0/24
> http_access allow allowedips
> http_access allow localhost
> http_access deny all
>
> visible_hostname server1
>
> Below are the settings I did FOR TRANSPARENT PROXY:
> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Should work fine in Squid-2.5.

> Can someone plz tell me what is the problem. Thx in advance.
> Looking forward to your reply/suggestion.

By the way, have you set the following parameter:

echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You can try something like:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 192.168.1.0/24 --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,